Friday, March 2, 2012

Meghana - 6

She opened her eyes and looked straight at Vijay with a mesmerizing smile,

Ah... when he saw her looking into his eyes with such a smile all the preparations he had done to talk to her was of no use.

He couldn't take his eyes off and heard her saying, “Thank you so much”

Vijay smiled and said, “Your welcome but, As a police officer it’s my duty (really????)“

She said, “I have a feeling that I have met you before but am not sure when and where”

He literally blushed and said, “Glad that you asked me now, was wondering if you will remember me or not”

"Yes, in your college. And of course it was by accident. I do remember your name, Abhignya”, he smiled.

She grinned, “Now I got it! I wondered how you knew my name when you asked me to come to the hospital”

He was fascinated by the way she expressed herself and so lively to watch her expressions.

He scolded himself for flying in the air with admiration for her and finally came back to reality and said, “Let me know your parents phone number, I will inform them”.

"No, it’s fine. I don't want them to unnecessarily worry about me and moreover if they knew am in hospital definitely they will come to see me despite their work. Frankly, I don't want to scare them off for this little accident. With that bike guy's help I have happily bunked college “, she laughed.

On seeing her laugh with such childish mischievousness, he remembered a quote that he read somewhere,

"Once upon a time there was a boy who loved a girl, and her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering.”

Every time he saw something new in her he was captivated by it. He knew he hasn't felt these feelings before with anyone.

He too laughed and asked, “What is your father name?”

"Hmm… started Interrogation, ha?” she smirked.

He said, “No... No... I just asked casually”.

"I was just kidding. My father has his own farm and with my brother's help he takes care of it and my mom is the world's best home maker”, and my native is Malur.

I stay with my uncle’s family here in Bangalore and studying engineering”.

She felt proud and happily said, “I am the first person to study engineering in my entire family”.

He awed her and said, “Excellent, I appreciate your effort to have come this far and all the best of your future”.

"Now, it is your turn. Please share your family details”, she leaned a bit towards his chair to listen care-fully.

He smiled and said, “My father is a retired military cornel and my mom is a wonderful home maker. We stay in Yaswant Pura … I had an elder brother, he was also a police officer but he passed away in a naxalite attack.”

She observed his shaky voice, understood the pain and emotions when he mentioned about his brother's death. She didn't expect a Police officer to be so frank about his feeling and sharing it with a person he met only few times, but still even she couldn't bare his pain and she knew death may end life but not the feelings and memories that one felt for another.

"You know, I have never spoken to any police officer before. You are the first”, she deliberately tried to divert the topic.

He chuckled and said, “Yes, it's the same here. I have never spoken with any girl this much”.

"What? Don’t tell me lies… a handsome guy like you should be having many girlfriends?” she had thrown a stone in dark.

"What? Don’t tell me lies… a handsome guy like you should be having many girlfriends?” she had thrown a stone in dark.

He blushed hearing "handsome guy....”, and caught off guard when she knew that he felt shy abt her comments.

"I had been busy with my work and have strived hard to get to the position where I am now and earning a good name is hard these days… It’s hard being an honest cop! … So, I missed the opportunity to engage with girlfriends and do parties… also not impressed by anyone till a few days before …” saying that he left the sentence unfinished and left it to induce her curiosity.

But she was more careful than he had thought and so she flooded him with questions and asked “how did you become a police officer? I hope you won’t mind to tell me”.

"It’s my pleasure to tell you. When my brother passed away it was a big shock to my family. After that incident, my mother forced me to do either engineering or medicine she didn't want to lose me like my brother at such a young age… Since childhood, my father and brother inspired me in lot of ways and I respected them for what they are and what they have become and what they did to serve the people… Though my mother refused, my father encouraged me a lot and convinced my mother and …” he stopped and smiled at her trying to guess her expression.

"Great!!!” he thought as she is not giving away anything from her expression. She is difficult to read.

"Was I boring you with my auto-biography?”

"No way it’s so awesome to hear, please continue”, her voice seemed firm.

"I respect this job and more than anything I love what am doing. It presents so many challenges and I love solving it… Even my mother wanted me to become software engineer with its 5 to 6 figure salary… I have wondered if anyone of them dreamed becoming a software engineer or just joined the job for its salary and status symbol”, he said.

“It is very nice to know about you. I wish that I am bit determined like you are”, she said.

He had opened up to her more than he never had to anyone in his life. “This is not correct”, He chided himself.

"OK, Abhignya, I’ve to go now. I think, you will get dis-charged after some time, take care”, he said and was ready to leave the room.

She got up from her bed and said, “Once again thank you very much for your help. Sometime later when you free please come home, I will introduce you to my uncle. He is fond of police officers”.

"Sure, I’ll come. Bye”, he almost asked her phone number but controlled himself and left her room.

"What is happening to me? Why I need her phone number? I should keep myself busy, otherwise, I’m getting distracted” he mumbled himself.

He knew that these feelings have become usual when she is around or when he thought about her.

He thought, “I don't have the control but the heart of mine wants to control that which doesn't belong. It’s just that the feeling of wanting to have everything to oneself.”

He looked at the watch after coming-out of the hospital, and said “Great!!!”

It was almost evening and it would be too late to attend the shop opening, so he decided to go station.

(To be continued ...)

No comments:

Post a Comment