Sunday, July 8, 2012

Trivedi

It was truly refreshing having coffee by looking at the sunrise. I was doing the same thing, standing outside of my 27th-floor apartment and enjoying the sunrise. The outside view was magnificent. My name is Trivedi, working as a Software Architect in one of the top US companies. We develop security solutions. US defense department is one of our clients. I was an expert in designing and architecting intelligent software in weapons. There is a total of 7 patents in my name. Most people don’t know that modern weapons have microchips, and the firmware inside the chip does most of the work.  They believe that Weapon manufacturing is just mechanical work, and no software is required. But certainly, they are wrong.

Six-figure salary and 5% company stock, everything achieved at age of 25. I love to enjoy a luxurious life, so bought the costliest apartment and a sports car. Even My boss didn’t have that kind of car. I was a bachelor but was dating Michele. Michele was a co-worker.

That day was going to be the biggest day in my life as I had to give a presentation of new weapon technology to US defense authorities, which I had been working for 2 years. US defense department was eagerly waiting for that technology. If they accept it then it would be a big breakthrough in my life.

I finished my coffee, went inside, and sat on a sofa. I got a call, it was Michele. I answered the call,

“Hey… Mich”, I call her Mich, short name of Michele.

“Honey… did I wake you up.”

“No … Mich... I woke up already.”

“Oh… ok… do you miss me yesterday night?” Her tone was teasing. Almost every day I used to spend nighttime in her apartment, but yesterday I didn’t go.

“Ya… kind of… you know right. I was immersed in preparing the presentation.”

“Oh … great. I know you forget the entire world when you are working... I’m angry that you keep all your designs with you. You don’t even share with me”, she sounded really angry.  That was, maybe the 100th time, she was complaining that I didn’t share my designs with her. I really don't like to share my designs with anybody, because those are military designs. If those designs land in the wrong hands, then I couldn’t imagine what kind of damage that might bring.

I just laughed and remained silent.

“Alright… anyway, come soon to the office. See you there… love you… bye”, she disconnected the call.

I took 45 mins to get ready and came out of my apartment. I was carrying a personal laptop. Today’s presentation and some other confidential documents were on that laptop.
I was in the basement, walking towards the car. Then it happened. Somebody hit me with something at the backside of my head. I fell to the floor. Then two hands were holding me down, and I could feel, something was getting injecting into my neck.

I was losing conciseness but still, I could see somebody grabbed a laptop from me. I wasn’t able to resist, lost complete conciseness ...

When I opened my eyes, I was inside a small room. I realized that was a lodge. It was undoubtedly a very low-cost one. I got up from bed. I remembered everything that someone hit me from back and stole my laptop.

“God damn it. They wanted my new designs that’s why they hit me and stole the laptop. Who was it? I’ve to inform my boss”. I came out of the room; it was on the first floor. I came over then I saw a short guy at the front desk. He didn’t look like an American. I asked him where was that place and who bought me here. He said some guy bought me here yesterday night. He had told him that I was his brother. I asked him again, which town it was?  He said I was in Poovar, a small town in Kerela, India.

“Oh my god, it is unbelievable. Am I in India???  Who stole my laptop, brought me to India from the US? This is ridiculous. I’ve to call my boss.”

I asked that guy, whether it was possible to make an international call. It was fortunate that the guy was able to talk in English. I heard somewhere that most of the population in Kerala speaks English and I was witnessing that fact in that small Kerala town. He showed me the phone and told me what numbers I should dial first to make an international call.

I dialed my boss's office number directly, no one answered the call. Then I understood it was night in the US, so I dialed my boss's cell phone number. After a moment he answered.

“Sir, this is Trivedi. Please listen carefully. I was attacked by somebody, and my laptop was stolen. And right now I’m in a small town, India. I don't know how, but they brought me here. You have to call the FBI and report it”, I told him everything.

There was a silence for a few seconds from the other side, then he said, “See Mr, this is not a time for practical jokes, I just met Trivedi this evening at my office. So don’t tell me that you are Trivedi. You better call someone to make a fool”.

I was shocked after listening to what he had said. “What are you saying? You met Trivedi today evening, that’s impossible, I’m Trivedi, and somebody stole my laptop and designs. Sir, you didn’t recognize my voice. I have been working in your company for more than 10 years!!!”

“I told you Mr, stop talking nonsense. You are not Trivedi”, he disconnected the call.

I was stalled. “What is going on?  When I’m here, how come he was telling me that he met Trivedi. Whom did he meet actually?” my head was spinning with those questions.

“Who stole my designs? Why they bought me to live here, instead of killing. I have to call Michele. Yes, she will remember me.”

I called Michele’s cell number. After a while, she answered.

“Michele, this is Trivedi, see… something terrible is gonna happen. I don’t understand what is that exactly. Can you believe that I'm in India, someone brought me here, you have to help me”.

She was laughing on phone. “Are you Trivedi? Then who is in my bed? A ghost … haha.”

“What? Trivedi is with you??” it was a double shock to me.

“Yes, he is with me in my bedroom. You want to talk to him” and I heard that she gave the phone to some other person.

“Hello, this is Trivedi speaking, who is it?” the voice is not my voice. I was thinking, “if he is Trivedi then who am I??”

THESE STORIES ARE PUBLISHED AT yourstoryclub.com

9 comments:

  1. Well written.Who s the other guy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. good start… a pinch of twist already will make a person curious enough to wait for next part..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlie Gal ( Wipro )July 8, 2012 at 11:14 PM

    Hi VJ, how many parts gonna be there? Its simply superb :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charlie Gal ( Wipro )July 8, 2012 at 11:14 PM

    And welcome back again with your crime stories VJ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow what a dream, should it be…cool

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice beginning VJ… quite interesting…. curios to know the whole story.. :smile:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really nice one :)
    waiting for the next post..
    Please post it soooon..

    ReplyDelete
  8. rockey5520 ( Wipro )July 9, 2012 at 8:40 AM

    well written .. awaiting for the next

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow… too gud.. quite captivating..
    can’t wait fr the next part. plz post soon..

    ReplyDelete